Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Day I Found Out

July 27, 2009
Monday

One month before my 25th birthday. I just got back from youth camp on Saturday. Today I felt incredibly tired. Dan woke up and left for work in Des Moines (the Drake Store) at 11 am. I had a short list of things to do today:
  • laundry
  • get a Bible study
  • clean up the house

Ultimately, I saw it as my day to recover from camp.

I was getting ready to leave the house, not even showered, when I remembered I needed to send camp pictures to BCI. I uploaded them and in 4 emails, sent them to Richard Nations.

With that done, I left for Wellspring Christian Bookstore on Hickman Road in Des Moines. I get 21% off there. I bought a Bible study and a $4.99 New Testament. From there there, I headed to the Jordan Creek Mall to enjoy some Bourbon Chicken and Fried Rice while diving into my Bible study. I got my food, but I couldn't concentrate on my study. I thought, "OK, I'll use the restroom and head home - maybe I'll be better able to concentrate".

I was so tired. I thought that throughout the whole drive back to Des Moines. I was SO tired. I had played with the idea of getting an EPT - but I always did that. Every month for the past 3 years was THE month.

On the way home, I stopped at the Walgreens at Beaver and Douglas. I bought bubble bath and face wash besides the EPT, thinking it would be nice to pamper myself a bit. While driving back to the house, I recorded my thoughts on an app on my iPhone. I must say, I was skeptical. I'll try and make a transcript, just incase anything were to happen to it. I drove straight home, exhausted. I planned on taking a bath and starting my Bible study. I started the water, undressed and took the EPT. I was trying not to stare at it and started to focus on my book. But when it fully developed, there it was: pregnant.

My first thought in those first moment was, "Holy crap - THIS is it. This really is it. And in 9 months, we're going to have a baby in our lives!" My emotions just kind of took over at that point, and I started crying. I was crying, screaming, jumping up and down and thanking God. Immediately, I raced to my phone and called ... my mom! But no one answered. So I called Dan at work. I was still crying, of course, and I told him that I took a test and it says I'm pregnant. His response was, "really??", with a laugh in his voice. Then I told him, "if this is false - I will be SO mad". He had to get back to work, so I hung up with him and called my dad. He couldn't hear me very well because he was on the train. But he thought I was trying to tell him that I failed a test (I've been studying to take the Professional Photographer's of America certification test). We had to hang up and call again, because he couldn't hear me. So when I told him that the test was positive he said, "so..... are you trying to tell me you're pregnant?"



My Signature

No comments:

Post a Comment